Choosing a boarding kennel for your dog is as important as choosing a hotel when you go on vacation. Just like you, your dog can get stressed. Making sure that your dog has an enjoyable stay while you are on vacation will help keep him/her healthy and in good spirits.
When looking for a boarding kennel, here are a few things to consider:
- How are the kennels maintained? Are they clean?
- What do the pens look like? Is it a cage or a run? Is there outside access?
- Is the staff understanding of your dog’s needs? Are they knowledgeable?
- Is the kennel licensed?
- What is the daily routine with feeding, etc?
- What vaccinations do they require?
- How will the kennel handle a medical emergency?
- What type of temperature control is available? Are the pens heated and/or air-conditioned?
Finding a good kennel can be as simple as asking a friend, co-worker, family member, or dog trainer for recommendations. You can also check local resources such as the Maryland Pet Gazette. Once you have a few names, call the individual kennels and ask for references.
Most importantly, don’t wait to the last minute to make your dog’s accommodations. During peak vacation times, kennels fill quickly.